RISTEX aims at contributing to the resolution of social problems and creating new social/public values by following the cycle of the five steps described below in order to promote R&D that resolves specific social problems.
- Identifying specific social problems that should be addressed: social problems that either exist in society or that are anticipated to occur in the future are identified, and relevant experts/stakeholders are invited to survey and investigate the respective issues to narrow down specific issues to be addressed.
- Establishing R&D Focus Areas/Programs: based on the specific issues extracted in Ⅰ and government policies, R&D Focus Areas/Programs are established where the R&D activities promoted by RISTEX can contribute to the resolution of problems.
- Promoting R&D: under the supervision of the Program Supervisors who bear the responsibility for their R&D Focus Areas/Programs, R&D is promoted by clearly defining R&D goals, issuing calls for R&D project proposals, and selecting appropriate projects. Stakeholders are asked to participate at every stage of the process, from identifying issues, conducting R&D, to performing evaluations, so that the outputs of R&D do contribute to the resolution of social problems.
- Presenting solution prototypes: R&D projects aim to return the R&D outputs to society by presenting solution prototypes which clearly show models, methodologies, required conditions such as regional characteristics and institutional constraints, how to train/secure the users of solutions, technological/technical factors, and promotion of social acceptance and consensus-building.
- Supporting the implementation of prototypes: the prototypes presented in Ⅳ are attempted to be utilized in wider social settings via various networks.
Going through these five steps as a sequential cycle causes collaboration among science, technology and society to create prototypes (the results). The objective in seeking the diffusion and establishment of these prototypes is to make contributions to the resolution of social issues and to create new social and public value.