December 27, 2019
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (hereinafter, “JST”) collects information regarding JST website users for the smooth operation of the services. JST website services include the JST homepage, information distributed via JST, and individual comments received via email. The collected information will be appropriately handled within the scope of the purpose of use.
2.Scope of information to be collected
(1) JST website automatically collects information such as Internet domain names, Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, and website visits and activities. Cookies (information sent from the server to the user’s browser and stored in the user’s computer for the server to identify the user) can be used to accurately count the number of accesses and improve the usability of the browser display function.
(2) The scope of information to be collected in each section of JST website and the purpose of use will be described in each respective section.
(3) Users are provided the option to register information, including their email address and user attributes, in some sections such as the Inquiry section. The sender’s email address is displayed on the recipient’s computer (JST) when comments or applications are sent from the link launching the user’s mailer.
3.Purpose of use
(1) The information collected under Section 2-(1) will be used for the smooth operation of the services provided on JST website.
(2) The information collected under Section 2-(3) will be used as reference to facilitate JST’s operations. We can use the email addresses provided by users to contact them. Such information can be forwarded to the relevant government ministries and agencies along with their requests and inquiries, as necessary.
(3) Acquisition of access logs and use of access analysis tools, etc. are subject to JST’s site policies.
4.Restrictions on use and provision
JST will not use collected information for any purpose other than those described in 3 nor will it provide it to any third parties, except in cases where the disclosure of such information is required by laws and regulations, there have been illegal activities such as unauthorized access, threats, or there are other special reasons. However, statistically processed information, such as access information and user attributes on our website, can be disclosed.
JST will take necessary measures to prevent the leakage, loss, or damage of collected information and appropriately manage the collected information. Moreover, when entrusting the processing of all or part of the personal information held by JST to a third party, JST will carefully select and supervise vendors to ensure that such information is appropriately managed, as performed by JST.
6.Disclosure of personal information
The Inquiry section provides users with the option to enter information, such as user attributes, and the purpose of use of such information shall be limited to Section 3-(3). In cases where a user requests the disclosure of his/her own information, we cannot disclose or change the information provided as it is not possible to confirm that the requester is the person who submitted the opinion.
7.Scope of application
In some cases, when users browse websites with links to their social networking service (SNS) accounts, information, such as their user IDs and websites that they are accessing, can be automatically sent from websites to SNSs even without clicking the links. For more information, see Notes for SNS Users (Personal Information Protection Commission homepage)(Japanese).
- For information on the share button of Facebook (social plug-in of Facebook), see Facebook’s data policy (https://en-gb.facebook.com/policy.php).
JST operates JST official account following JST Social Media Policy.
Public Relations Division, Department of General Affairs, Japan Science and Technology Agency
5-3, Yonbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8666 Japan