What is the SIP ?
The Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program (SIP) is a national program led by the Council for Science, Technology and Innovation （CSTI） of the Japanese Government with interdisciplinary management to realize scientific and technological innovation in our country. The SIP has been promoting 11 themes since FY2014 and newly 12 themes since FY2018 that address the most important social problems facing Japan, as well as contribute to the resurgence of Japanese economy. Under the strong leadership of Program Directors （PD） for each subject, it promotes interdisciplinary research and development covering from fundamental study to industrial application with industry-academia-government cooperation.
Visit the Cabinet Office website
Features of the SIP
- The Council for Science, Technology and Innovation（CSTI） selects projects that answer critical social needs and offer competitive advantage to Japanese industry and the economy.
- Cross-ministerial, multidisc;plinary Initiatives.
- Promotes focused, end-to-end research and development, from basic research to practical application and commercialization. Utilizes regulations, systems, special wards, government procurement, etc. Significant for international standardization.
- Intellectual property management system facilitating strategic corporate use of research results.
- Includes regulation reform including international standards, intellectual property strategy, startup support etc.
A strong central headquarters structure is vital for effective coordination between ministries and among industry, academia and government agencies.
The Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program has selected program directors (PDs) to be responsible for each of the individual programs making up this government initiative. Each PD has been selected for their proven leadership, which allows them to effectively manage industryacademia-government coordination. The Cabinet Office has set aside a budget, shifting funds to various ministries on the path to creating this first-of-its kind breakthrough program.
- Select a PD for each program (PD)
- PDs break through ministerial silos, managing programs from a cross-ministerial perspective.
- Governing Board (comprised of executive members of the Council for Science, Technology and Innovation) provides advice/assessment.