Information on Japan (JST) - Germany (DFG) - France (ANR) Joint Research on Artificial Intelligence
Updated August 23, 2019:
- placed a link to ANR website and the Application form.
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft e.V. (DFG, Germany) and The French National Research Agency (ANR, France), signed a letter of intent (LOI) for research collaboration in the field of artificial intelligence (AI) , are jointly accepting proposals for trilateral collaborative research projects.
This call is intended to finance research projects in artificial intelligence, in the broad sense, on methodological advancement in core AI technologies and emerging AI technologies. The following themes are given as examples:
- knowledge extraction and learning: data mining and text mining, machine learning (super-vised, self-supervised, unsupervised, by reinforcement, ...), complex decision rules design, decision process modeling and construction of decision support tools;
- knowledge management methods and models, including knowledge representation and theories of knowledge reasoning, ontologies and their use in data enrichment and information retrieval, multi-agent systems, and the semantic web, etc.
- advancing the state of the art in artificial intelligence in order to accomplish complex tasks (computer vision, natural language and speech processing, etc.), developing autonomous decision-making systems or allowing high-level interactions with human users.
- human-centered approaches towards artificial intelligence methods, eg. considering, trust-ed AI, GDPR in future AI, democratization of AI, integrity of data for fairness, AI ethics to avoid gender/age segmentation.
For more information on ANR, the call secretariat of this joint call, please visit their website:
- ANR site https://anr.fr/en/call-for-proposals-details/call/call-for-projects-trilateral-call-for-proposals-france-germany-japan-on-artificial-intelligence/
- Proposals should be jointly drafted by the Leading PIs from each country. Please refer to the ANR site for the information and format of the research proposal.
- Japanese LPI also complete the Japanese application form. Please obtain the application form from "Download Required Documents" below.
- LPIs from each country are requested to submit a research proposal using the application systems of the funding agencies of each country. Japanese LPI are also required to input necessary items into the e-Rad system and submit a research proposal together with Japanese application form.
※Japanese application form is not necessary to attach to the systems of other countries.
※If applicants do not submit required documents to JST, DFG and ANR by the deadline, the proposal shall not be accepted and not be brought to the evaluation process.
Details of Support
JST provides funding to the Japanese research teams. The total budget for the Japanese research teams is 300 million yen as a direct cost over a period of 3 years. Approximately 10 proposals are scheduled to be adopted. Enrollment of enterprises as funded partners is not allowed. However, it is possible to participate in research after securing the necessary funds for research activities.
July 30, 2019 17:00 (Japan time, UTC+9)
October 25, 2019 17:00 (Japan time, UTC+9)
The call text and application forms can be downloaded below.
|Document / Form||Links|
|Japan-side call text (in Japanese)||PDF (627KB)|
|Japan-side call text Annex (in Japanese)||PDF (1,798KB)|
|Supplemental Japanese application form （日本側申請書(Form_J)）||Word (29KB)|
※DL from ANR website
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Department of Strategic Basic Research
AIP network Lab
TEL (for urgent matters)： +81-3-3512-3526 FAX：+81-3-3222-2066
Office hours: 10:00-12:00/13:00-17:00, except Saturdays, Sundays, and National Holidays
E-mail: rp-info(at)jst.go.jp (replace (at) by @ before sending).