＜July 10, 2019＞
Hamaguchi Michinari President
President Michinari Hamaguchi has served as president of the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) since October 2015. As president he has implemented a bold restructuring scheme called the HAMAGUCHI Plan and been leading JST with a clear vision to reinvigorate Japan's scientific community.
Before joining JST he was president of Nagoya University (2009-2015), one of Japan's top national institutions, after serving there as dean of the School of Medicine. He has dedicated his long and distinguished career to chemical pathology research, including a period at Rockefeller University in the U.S. (1985-1988) as associate professor.
Besides his endeavors as JST's president, he currently serves as chairperson of the Council for Science and Technology for Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
- Awards and Honors
- Royal Order of Sahametrei Officer Class, Kingdom of Cambodia (2015)
- Vietnam Ministry of Justice Medal (2015)
- Polar Star Medal of Mongolia (2014)
- Honorary Doctorate, Poland Gdansk University (2011)
- Honorary Doctorate, Mongolian National University of Science and Technology (2010)
- Honorary Doctorate, Sungkyunkwan University (2009)