News / Announcements
- Bioresources A Grain of Hope Will Save the World! ‐ Repatriating wheat from Japan to Afghanistan after more than half a century ‐ This project focuses on wheat, a grain that accounts for 25% of calories consumed in developing countries, and seeks to utilize the characteristics of wheat native to Afghanistan to develop varieties of wheat resilient to aridity and disease.
- Environment and Energy (Climate change) Saving the Sinking Islands of Tuvalu with Star Sand - Countering the rising sea level with the islands'own resources - Two‐thirds of the land of Tuvalu is actually made up of foraminifera sand. The aim of this project is to cultivate foraminifera in order to increase sand production, thereby restoring the islands' natural abilities to deal with the rising sea level.
- Environment and Energy (Climate change) "Artificial Earth" Offers Seasonal Climate Predictions a Year in Advance - The irreplaceable Earth "simulated" by computer - SATREPS project utilizes Japan's world‐class supercomputer, JAMSTEC Earth Simulator, to create an artificial Earth in order to forecast the climate up to a year in advance.
- Bioresources Striking Out against Striga called Witchweed! ‐Creating an Africa that can win the battle against root parasitic weeds‐ Farming in Sudan is being seriously debilitated because of a plant called "Witchweed". SATREPS project aims to come up with countermeasures that are inexpensive, adapted to the Sudanese culture, and easy for the farmers to implement.
- Environment and Energy (Global‐scale environmental issues) Don't Mix/Don't Collect - Sustainable sanitation for the Sahel - Water and sanitary systems have a large part to play in breaking the cycle of poverty. SATREPS project provides sustainable solutions.
- Bioresources World-class Microbial Resource Center- Re-evaluating and developing bioresources in Indonesia -Reasearchers collect microorganisms that are potentially useful for agriculture and livestock production, determining their characteristics and creating a database that contributes to the safe and sustainable use of microbial resources.
- Natural Disaster Prevention Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Mitigation- Global benefits from Japan-Peru research -Researchers from two countries with similar seismic environments collaborate to generate new knowledge that enhances the technology for mitigating earthquake and tsunami disasters.
- Infectious Disease Control Developing new medicines for infectious diseases- Studies based on Ghanaian medicinal plants -By discovering scientific evidence to support traditional healthcare resources, researchers hope to raise treatment rates by facilitating therapeutic strategies that suit local requirements.