（Last Update : November 26, 2020）
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and The US National Science Foundation (NSF), in order to promote international research interaction and exchange among researchers in Japan and US, are jointly accepting proposals for Japanese-US collaborative research projects.
The S&CC program supports integrative research that addresses fundamental technological and social science dimensions of smart and connected communities and pilots solutions together with communities. Importantly, the program is interested in projects that consider the sustainability of the research outcomes beyond the life of the project, including the scalability and transferability of the proposed solutions.
Although all forms of disasters that are relevant to both the US and Japan are in scope, proposing teams are encouraged to focus on recovery and resilience planning related to the continuing COVID-19 crisis. Specific topics may include, for example, how the proposed research will enable community adjustment to life in the new normal of a post-COVID-19 society, resilience and emergency management planning for future pandemics, and the compound problem of other disasters occurring in the context of a pandemic. Researchers, working together with community partners, may wish to leverage experiences or current challenges introduced by COVID-19 to pursue associated community-level solutions. As noted above, research on resilience or emergency management planning for other forms of disasters is also welcome if relevant to both countries.
For more information on the NSF, please visit their website:
・Smart and Connected Communities, NSF 21-535. Eligible award categories: Integrative Research Grants Tracks 2（SCC-IRG JST）
https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505364 Solicitation 21-535
■Details of Support
Research networking and exchange projects selected for funding in this call will receive support for a period of 3 year totaling no more than 75,000,000 JPY including direct and indirect costs. Examples of direct costs include research materials, personnel costs, travel costs and events.
It is expected that about 3 projects will be funded.
Japan-side: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 19:00 (Japan time, UTC+9)
US-side: Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 17:00 (submitter's local time in US)
- Proposals should be jointly drafted by the US and Japanese team and must comply with the proposal preparation guidelines outlined in JST's Japan-side call text and NSF's Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide as well as any programmatic requirements of the NSF Smart and Connected Communities solicitation, NSF 21-535. Eligible award categories: Integrative Research Grants Tracks 2（SCC-IRG JST）.
- The Project Leader from the US team will have to submit the proposal to NSF's FastLane system or Grants.gov.
- The Project Leader from the Japanese team will have to submit the proposal to JST via e-Rad (the Cross Ministerial R&D Management System).
- Compliance agreement documents require the stamp of the institution's top person. In the case of a university or college the top person is the president, not the dean.
- When research institutions are national or municipal organizations, such institutions concluding research contracts are obliged to implement necessary budgetary measures before entering research contracts for which they are responsible. Please confirm with your institution and contact JST before submitting.
- If applicants do not submit required documents to both JST and NSF by the deadline, the proposal shall not be accepted and not be brought to the evaluation process.
The call text and application forms can be downloaded below.
|Document / Form||Links|
|Japan-side call text (in Japanese)|
|Instructions and guidance for further Japanese application (in Japanese)|
|e-Rad guidance (in Japanese)|
|Supplemental application form & legal compliance checklist (in Japanese & English)（日本側応募申請書(Form1J)）||Word|
|JST Budget form (in English)（予算フォーム(Form2J)）||Word|
|Compliance agreement (in English)（日本側研究代表者所属機関長確認書(Form3J)）||Word|
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Department of International Affairs
Japan-US project staff
TEL (for urgent matters)： +81-3-5214-7375 FAX：+81-3-5214-7379
Office hours: 10:00-12:00/13:00-16:00, except Saturdays, Sundays, and National Holidays
E-mail： jointus(at)jst.go.jp (replace (at) by @ before sending).