(Last update: August 2, 2021)
History of Updates
Updated August 2, 2021：
- Joint proposal form was updated as follows:
1. Page break was inserted between Part.1 and Part.2.
2. Blank pages were deleted. (P.10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 in the previous version）
Applicants can use the previous version without blank pages in the submission.
(Last update: July 29, 2021)
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) is accepting proposals for collaborative research projects under the framework of AJ-CORE (Africa-Japan Collaborative Research) in the field of "Environmental Science".
Friday 15th October, 16:00（Japan time）
Participating countries and organizations
Participating countries are Japan, South Africa and Science Granting Councils Initiative (SGCI) African countries (Botswana, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
Organizations of Japan, South Africa, Botswana have declared their funding to the 2nd call.
|Japan||Japan Science and Technology Agency: JST|
|South Africa||National Research Foundation: NRF|
|Botswana||Department of Research, Science and Technology: DRST|
Details of Support
Research networking and exchange projects selected for funding in this call will receive support for a period of 3 years totaling no more than 18,000,000 JPY including direct and indirect costs. Full details of support can be found in the Japanese guidance information below and in the Call Document.
It is expected that about 4 projects will be funded. (DRST of Botswana will fund about 3 projects.)
- The Japanese-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information, legal compliance checklist and compliance agreement on the Cross Ministerial R&D Management System (e-Rad).
- The South African-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information to NRF. Please refer the below website.
Application Form (Japanese side)
|Document / Form||Links|
|Call for proposals framework|
|Joint proposal form||Word|
|Supplemental application form & Legal compliance checklist (in Japanese)||Word|
|Application guideline (in Japanese)|
|e-Rad manual (in Japanese)|
- Compliance agreement documents require the stamp of the institution's top person. In the case of a university or college the top person is the president, not the dean.
- When research institutions are national or municipal organizations, such institutions concluding research contracts are obliged to implement necessary budgetary measures before entering research contracts for which they are responsible. Please confirm with your institution and contact JST before submitting.
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Department of International Affairs
Ms. SHIRAISHI Junko, Mr. DOI Shinichi
Tel.: +81-3-5214-7375; Fax.: +81-3-5214-7379
(Email is preferable if not urgent.)