Greeting from the JST India Liaison Officer
India Liaison Officer
India Liaison Office
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Thank you for visiting the website of the JST India Liaison Office. I am Emi Kaneko, India Liaison Officer since April 1, 2022.
JST plays a central role in Japan's Science and Technology Basic Plan. Based on science and technology targets issued by the government we fund basic research, commercialization of new technologies, distribution of science and technology information, and in recent years promote international joint research and the fostering of next generation human resources.
Our comprehensive contribution stimulates real progress in science and technology and helps tackle a variety of social issues.
We continue to strengthen our close relationships with universities, research institutes and industry inside and outside Japan, create collaborative science and technology innovation and ensure the sustainable development of our society.
With its population of 1.3 billion and huge pool of science and mathematics talent, India's potential is immeasurable. Japan recognizes India as a valuable partner sharing democratic values and a desire to promote global well-being through science and technology. We believe research cooperation - especially in ICT - is fundamental to achieving our shared goals.
The JST India Liaison Office therefore strives to deepen science and technology cooperation between Japan and India through a wide variety of activities, including the establishment of joint ICT research hubs and other joint research projects.
The India Liaison Office works as a gateway connecting India and South Asia to Japan's universities, research institutes and companies, and vice versa.
The following are descriptions of activities conducted with India and South Asian countries.
1. Collaboration Hubs for International Research Program [CHIRP]
This program promotes long-term collaboration with India, developing International Joint-Research Hubs.
・Field of Cooperation: Information and Communications Technology（ICT）
・India Partner: Department Of Science & Technology (DST)
2. SATREPS: Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development
This program aims to address global issues and lead to research outcomes of practical benefit to both local and global society.
・Research Fields and Areas:
Environment and Energy/ Bioresources/Disaster Prevention and Mitigation/ Infectious Diseases Control
3. Accelerating Social Implementation for SDGs Achievement (aXis)
This program contributes to the progress of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in developing countries by utilizing Japan's science, technology and innovation, and by promoting overseas dissemination of research results.
4. SAKURA SCIENCE Exchange Program
JST invites young people to Japan, mainly from Asia, on short-term programs to experience Japanese science and technology facilities.
If you are interested in Japanese research and development, please contact the JST India Liaison Office anytime! We look forward to hearing from you.
Activities of the JST India Liaison Office
1. Gathers information on science and technology in India.
2. Promotes science and technology cooperation between Japan and India. JST has a variety of programs, from basic research to industry-academia collaboration. Please contact me if you are interested in a JST program.
3. Promotes and supports long-term collaboration with India, developing International Joint-Research Hubs. Please contact me if you are interested in research exchanges, practical implementation of research results, etc. regarding the following research:
|Title||Research Leader in Japan
Research Leader in India
|Architecting Intelligent Dependable Cyber Physical System Targeting IoT and Mobile Big Data Analysis||
FUJITA Masahiro, Professor,
Virendra Singh, Professor,
|Data Science-based Farming Support System for Sustainable Crop Production under Climatic Change||
NINOMIYA Seishi, Project Professor,
Uday Desai, Professor Emeritus,
|Security in the Internet of Things Space||
OKAMURA Koji, Professor & Director of Cybersecurity Center,
Sanjiva Prasad, Professor,
4. Promotes and supports the following research. Please contact me if you are interested in research exchanges, practical implementation of research results, etc.
|Title||Research Leader in Japan
|Smart Cities Development for Emerging Countries by Multimodal Transport System Based on Sensing, Network and Big Data Analysis of Regional Transportation||
5. Promotes and supports the following research. Please contact me if you are interested in research exchanges, practical implementation of research results, etc.
|Field||Research Themes||Principal Investigator||Affiliation||Title|
|Environment and Energy||Feasibility study for implementing non-burnt bricks to reduce environmental load and improve working environment in Indian brick manufacturing industry||ARAKI Yoshikazu||Nagoya University||Professor|
|Development and demonstration of high-performance rice breeding support pipeline for semiarid area||Ninomiya Seishi||The University of Tokyo||Project Professor|