(Last update: October 24, 2022)
History of Updates
Updated October 17, 24, 2022：
- Virtual Matchmaking Event information was updated.
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and The National Research Council Canada (NRC), in order to promote international research interaction and exchange among researchers in Japan and Canada, are jointly accepting proposals for Japanese-Canadian collaborative research projects under the theme of "AI-based solutions for well-being, better living environments, and social connection for aging populations".
"AI-based solutions for well-being, better living environments, and social connection for aging populations"
Projects must be focused on the development of pre-commercial technologies that address an identified need in area of utilizing AI-based solutions to improve well-being, living environments, and social connection, in particular in the context of an aging populations.
The project consortium must include a minimum of 5 participants (2 Japanese participants and 3 Canadian).
• 2 Japanese Participants
(i) At least one university or research institution
(ii) At least one company
• 3 Canadian Participants
(i) At least one university or research institution
(ii) At least one incorporated Canadian small or medium-sized enterprise (SME)
(iii) At least one researcher from NRC
※NRC will hold Virtual Matchmaking Event (Friday, November 18th, 2022 at 9:00 am (JST)).
It will offer an opportunity for potential project partners and consortia to network, discuss project opportunities,
and facilitate introductions with Japanese and Canadian collaborators.
The details of this event can be found in NRC Virtual Matchmaking Event website.
Virtual Matchmaking Event
Outline of Virtual Matchmaking Event
Date :November 18, 2022 09:00 ～(JST) /November 17, 2022 16:00～(PST))
Event :Call overview and Event for seeking research partners through research presentation
Register for Event :https://canada-japan-ai-healthy-aging.b2match.io/signup ※by November 16, 2022
Event URL :https://canada-japan-ai-healthy-aging.b2match.io/
※please note that you need to register to attend event in advance.
- 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM Welcome and Opening Remarks
- 4:15 PM - 4:25 PM Call for Proposal Overview, Structure and Submission Process
- 4:25 PM - 4:35 PM Q&A Session
- 4:35 PM - 6:25 PM Pitch Session
- 6:25 PM - 6:30 PM Closing Remarks
Participants seeking partners are recommended to present a 2-minute pitch
to describe their expertise and collaboration interests in Pitch Session.
From 18 November 2022 to 23 January 2023, B2Match will open for participants to schedule business to business (B2B) meetings with researcher who is interested in research presentation.
Presentation time ：2-minute Pitch（PPT will be posted on above event website）
Please use the below pitch presentation template.
CAN-JPN 3+2 Pitch Presentation.pptx
Deadline of PPT submission：November 17, 2022 at 04:00 (JST)/November 16, 2022 at 14:00 (EST)
PPT must be provided by email to below
Details of Support
Research networking and exchange projects selected for funding in this call will receive support for a period of 3 years totaling no more than approximately 58,500,000 JPY including direct and indirect costs.
It is expected that about 3 to 4 projects will be funded.
Full details of support can be found in the Japanese guidance information below.
Monday, 3rd April 2023, 17:00(Japan standard time)
- The Project Leader from the Japanese team will have to register their application information, legal compliance checklist and compliance agreement on the Cross Ministerial R&D Management System (e-Rad) by the application deadline (Monday, 3rd April 2023, 17:00(Japan standard time)).
e-Rad : https://www.e-rad.go.jp/
※in case that you use e-Rad system for the first time, registration is required. It may take up to two weeks to complete your registration. Please allow enough time to complete the registration process.
- The Project Leader from the Canadian team will have to register electronically and must submit EOI form to NRC by 23rd January 2023. After passing EOI evaluation process, the Project Leader from the Canadian team will have to submit International Consortium Project Proposal (ICPP) and other Canadian applications to NRC by the application deadline.
NRC Website: https://nrc.canada.ca/en/irap/about/international/?action=view&id=125
- If applicants do not submit required documents to both JST and NRC by the deadline, the proposal shall not be accepted and not be brought to the evaluation process.
Application Form (Japanese side)
|Document / Form||Links|
|Joint Call for Proposals|
|Application form (Japanese side)||Word|
|Precautions regarding cost sharing and resource provision of company（only for Japanese side）|
|Application guideline (in Japanese)|
- Compliance agreement documents require the stamp of the institution's top person. In the case of a university or college the top person is the president, not the dean.
- Complete a research ethics training program conducted by the research institute with which they are affiliated and then declare the completion of the program to JST by the deadline of the call for proposals. If it is difficult for them to undertake a program provided by their own institute, they should contact JST to register for a research ethics program provided by eAPRIN (formerly known as CITI Japan). Unless applicants complete a research ethics program, their application will be deemed ineligible for funding.
- When research institutions are national or municipal organizations, such institutions concluding research contracts are obliged to implement necessary budgetary measures before entering research contracts for which they are responsible. Please confirm with your institution and contact JST before submitting.
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Department of International Affairs
Ms. HASHIMOTO Shiho, Ms. SHIRAISHI Junko
Email: jointca(at)jst.go.jp (replace (at) with @).
Tel.: +81-3-5214-7375; Fax.: +81-3-5214-7379
(Email is preferable if not urgent.)