(Last update: July 18, 2023)
History of Updates
Updated July 18, 2023：
- Application deadline has been extended to 31st July, 2023
Monday 31st July, 16:00（Japan time）
Participating countries and organizations
Participating countries are Japan, South Africa and Science Granting Councils Initiative (SGCI) African countries (Botswana, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Sierra Leone).
Organizations described below have declared their funding to the 3rd call.
|Japan||Japan Science and Technology Agency: JST|
|South Africa||National Research Foundation: NRF|
|Botswana||Department of Research, Science and Technology: DRST|
|Kenya||National Research Fund: NRF|
|Mozambique||Fundo Nacional de Investigação: FNI|
|Sierra Leone||Ministry of Technical and Higher Education: MTHE|
Details of Support
Research networking and exchange projects selected for funding in this call will receive support for a period of 3 years totaling no more than 18,000,000 JPY including direct and indirect costs. Full details of support can be found in the Japanese guidance information below and in the Call Document.
It is expected that about 5 projects will be funded.
- The Japanese-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information, legal compliance checklist and compliance agreement on the Cross Ministerial R&D Management System (e-Rad).
- The South African-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information to NRF.
Application Form (Japanese side)
|Document / Form||Links|
|Call for proposals framework|
|Joint proposal form||Word|
|Supplemental application form & Legal compliance checklist (in Japanese)||Word|
|Application guideline (in Japanese)|
|e-Rad manual (in Japanese)|
- Compliance agreement documents require the stamp of the institution's top person. In the case of a university or college the top person is the president, not the dean.
- If applicants do not submit required documents to both JST and NRF by the deadline, the proposal shall not be accepted and not be brought to the evaluation process.
- If you have not registered information related to research integrity with e-Rad after the e-Rad upgrade on March 15, 2022, please make sure to register the information. This is not required if you have already registered.
- When research institutions are national or municipal organizations, such institutions concluding research contracts are obliged to implement necessary budgetary measures before entering research contracts for which they are responsible. Please confirm with your institution and contact JST before submitting.
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Department of International Affairs
Ms. SHIRAISHI Junko, Mr. YODA Akira
Tel.: +81-3-5214-7375; Fax.: +81-3-5214-7379
(Email is preferable if not urgent.)