(Last update: April 24, 2020)
History of Updates
Updated April 24, 2020：
- Application deadline has been extended to 15th May, 2020.
Updated March 25, 2020：
- Application deadline has been extended to 30th April, 2020.
Updated January 27, 2020：
- Joint proposal form was updated as follows:
1. The AJ-CORE logo was placed in each header.
2. "Information on 3rd/ 4th Partner Principal Investigator" was added on P24.
3. A blank page was inserted on P20, P22 and P25.
Applicants can use the previous version of the form with P24 included in the submission.
The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) is accepting proposals for collaborative research projects under the framework of AJ-CORE (Africa-Japan Collaborative Research) in the field of "Environmental Science".
Friday 15th May 2020, 16:00（Japan time）
Participating countries and organizations
Participating countries are Japan, South Africa and Science Granting Councils Initiative (SGCI) African countries (Botswana, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe).
Organizations of Japan, South Africa, Burkina Faso and Senegal have declared their funding to the 1st call.
|Japan||Japan Science and Technology Agency: JST|
|South Africa||National Research Foundation: NRF|
|Burkina Faso||Fonds National de la Recherche et de l'Innovation pour le Developpement: FONRID|
|Senegal||Direction du financement de la Recherche scientifique et du Développement Technologique: DFRSDT|
Details of Support
Research networking and exchange projects selected for funding in this call will receive support for a period of 3 years totaling no more than 18,000,000 JPY including direct and indirect costs. Full details of support can be found in the Japanese guidance information below and in the Call Document.
It is expected that about 4 projects will be funded.
- The Japanese-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information, legal compliance checklist and compliance agreement on the Cross Ministerial R&D Management System (e-Rad).
- The South African-based Principal Investigator will have to register their application information to NRF. Please refer the below website.
NRF General Application Guide 2021
Application Form (Japanese side)
|Document / Form||Links|
|Call for proposals framework|
|Joint proposal form||Word|
|Supplemental application form & Legal compliance checklist (in Japanese)||Word|
|Application guideline (in Japanese)|
- Compliance agreement documents require the stamp of the institution's top person. In the case of a university or college the top person is the president, not the dean.
- When research institutions are national or municipal organizations, such institutions concluding research contracts are obliged to implement necessary budgetary measures before entering research contracts for which they are responsible. Please confirm with your institution and contact JST before submitting.
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) Department of International Affairs
Ms. SHIRAISHI Junko, Mr. DOI Shinichi
Tel.: +81-3-5214-7375; Fax.: +81-3-5214-7379
(Email is preferable if not urgent.)