The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) announced that they will commence support for three collaborative research projects in cooperation with the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)*1) on the topic of “Optics and Photonics”. This support will be provided as an activity of JST’s FY2017 Strategic International Collaborative Research Program (SICORP)*2. The selected projects are as follows:
(1) “Efficient Silicon Photonic Devices Using Advanced Electro-Optic Polymers”
【Project leader】Shiyoshi YOKOYAMA, Professor, Kyushu University
【Academia】Kyushu University,【Industry】Nissan Chemical Industries, Ltd.
【Project leader】Christian KOOS, Professor, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
【Academia】Karlsruhe Institute of Technology,【Industry】Vanguard Automation GmbH
(2) “Real-Time Fusion of Projection and Sensing by High-Speed Multispectral Units for Dynamic Interaction”
【Project leader】Yoshihiro WATANABE, Associate Professor, Tokyo Institute of Technology
【Academia】Tokyo Institute of Technology,【Industry】Tokyo Electron Device LTD.
【Project leader】Petra ASWENDT, CEO, ViALUX GmbH
【Academia】Fraunhofer Institute,【Industry】ViALUX GmbH
(3) “Development of Hyper-Resolution X-Ray Phase Imaging”
【Project leader】Atsushi MOMOSE, Professor, Tohoku University
【Academia】Tohoku University,【Industry】Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
【Project leader】Jürgen MOHR, Head of X-ray optics group, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
【Academia】Karlsruhe Institute of Technology,【Industry】microworks GmbH
A total of 35 proposals were submitted in response to the joint call for proposals implemented by JST and BMBF, which closed in November 2017. Based on the results of evaluation conducted by experts, JST and BMBF including the program officer and advisors jointly decided on the three projects for funding.
Support to the projects will continue for about three years.
- *1) Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) :
- BMBF ’s homepage: https://www.bmbf.de/en/index.html
- *2) Strategic International Collaborative Research Program(SICORP):
- SICORP is a “top-down type” program that provides support to international research projects with countries and regions, in fields of cooperation designated by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) on the basis of interministerial agreements.
- SICORP homepage: https://www.jst.go.jp/inter/
Appendix 2: Japanese Advisory Board Members
Reference : Overview of the Evaluation
Shinji Kanayama (Dr.)
Department of International Affairs, JST
K's Gobancho, 7 Gobancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0076 Japan
Tel: +81-3-5214-7375 Fax: +81-3-5214-7379