The Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) has launched a call for EU-Japan joint research proposals in the fields of “Power Electronics” and “Substitution of critical materials” within the framework of the Strategic International Collaborative Research Program (SICORP)*1) in cooperation with the HORIZON2020*2) organized by the European Commission. JST has decided to fund the following project.
“Innovative Reliable Nitride based Power Devices and Applications”
Japan: Hideto Miyake, Professor, Graduate School of Regional Innovation Studies, Mie University
EU: Gaudenzio Meneghesso, Professor, Department of Information Engineering, University of Padova
The general objective of this project is to develop robust and reliable Gallium Nitride (GaN)- and Aluminum Nitride (AlN)-based power devices for high and medium power electronics systems targeting energy conversion efficiency applications and to bring wide band gap (WBG) semiconductors power devices another steps toward wide usability in energy saving environments exploiting the full potential of this semiconductor material.
A total of 5 proposals in the field of the “Power Electronics” and 11 proposals in the field of “Substitution of critical materials” were received by JST. JST evaluated these proposals with expert reviewers. Evaluation was conducted independently by European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (EC DG RTD)*3) and JST. JST adopted a project recommended both by EC DG RTD and JST. As a result, one project was selected in the “Power Electronics” but none in the “Substitution of critical materials”. JST shall start funding in January 2017 and the project will continue for 36 months. The total budget per project is up to ¥60M.
- *1) Strategic International Collaborative Research Program (SICORP):
- SICORP is a “top-down type” program that provides support to international research projects with countries and regions, in fields of cooperation designated by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) on the basis of intergovernmental agreements.
- Homepage of SICORP: http://www.jst.go.jp/inter/english/sicorp/index.html
- *2) HORIZON2020:
- Horizon 2020 is the financial instrument of Europe 2020 Strategy and its flagship initiative Innovation Union. It is the new EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation for the period 2014-2020 with a budget of over 80 billion euros.
- Homepage of HORIZON2020: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/what-horizon-2020
- *3) European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (EC DG RTD):
- EC DG RTD supports research and innovation through European Framework Programs, coordinates and supports national and regional research and innovation programs, contributes to the creation of the European Research Area by developing the conditions for researchers and knowledge to circulate freely, and supports European organizations and researchers in their cooperation at the international level.
- Homepage of EC DG RTD: http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm
Appendix 2: Japanese Advisory Board Members
Reference : Overview of the Evaluation
Takashi MURAKAMI (Mr.), Dai MINOWA (Mr.), Yukihiro HISANAGA (Mr.)
Department of International Affairs, JST
K's Gobancho, 7 Gobancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0076 Japan
Tel: +81-3-5214-7375 Fax: +81-3-5214-7379