Strategic International Research Cooperative Program
Japan-Mexico Joint Research Projects
About new projects and SICP
The projects are;
1. "Biomedicine for inwardly rectifying potassium channel" to be conducted by Dr. Masayoshi Okada, Department of Physiology, Kansai Medical University and Prof. Lourival Domingos Possani Postay, Institute of Biotechnology, National Autonomous University of Mexico,
2. "Study on regulatory mechanisms and therapeutic applications of free fatty acid receptors" to be conducted by Prof. Gozoh Tsujimoto, Kyoto University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Prof. J. Adolfo García-Sáinz, Institute of Cellular Physiology, National Autonomous University of Mexico,
3. "Deciphering neuronal networks underlying acquisition and storage of memories" to be conducted by Dr. Haruhiko Bito, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine and Dr. Victor Ramírez-Amaya, Institute of Neurobiology, National Autonomous University of Mexico.
The joint supports by JST and CONACyT to these projects start in October this year and continue for three years.
The SICP initiative aims to promote joint international research collaborations between Japan and Mexico by means of providing funding for research and workshops. Under an MOU signed on 1 February 2010, JST and CONACyT have mutually agreed to support research within the field of "Life Science".
Besides funding research, SICP also provides financial support for attachments and invitations of researchers and organizing workshops to facilitate exchange activities among the Japanese and Mexican researchers.
Since 2003, the Strategic International Research Cooperative Program has been promoted by JST to foster active research exchange between researchers from Japan and specific countries. Since the initiation of the Program, JST has collaborated with 22 countries/region across Americas, Asia, Oceania, Africa and Europe within the framework of the SICP.
About Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) aims to establish Japan as a nation built on the creativity of science and technology and innovation, as a core organization for implementing Japan's science and technology policy in line with the objectives of the Science and Technology Basic Plan. JST's mission is to promote science and technology in Japan by conducting a broad range of activities, including the following:
* Promotion of consistent research and development from basic research to commercialization with particular emphasis on the creation of new technological seeds
* Upgrading the infrastructure for the promotion of science and technology, including dissemination of scientific and technological information
For more information, please visit http://www.jst.go.jp/EN/index.html
About National Council on Science and Technology (CONACyT)
National Council on Science and Technology (CONACYT) was created by the willingness of the Congress (H. Congreso de la Unión) on December 29th 1970, as a public and decentralized organism of the Public Federal Administration, member of the education sector, with legal personality and with its own endowment. It is also responsible of the elaboration of science and technology policies in Mexico. Since its creation and until 1999, two reforms and one law to coordinate and promote scientific and technologic development were presented, and on June 5th 2002 the new Science and Technology Law was promulgated. The goal for CONACyT is to consolidate a National System of Science and Technology that responds to the country's priority demands, gives solution to specific problems and needs, and that contributes to raise the standard of living and the social welfare state.
For more information, visit http://www.conacyt.mx/en/Pages/default.aspx
For media enquiries, please contact
Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Emi Kaneko (Ms.) / Dr. Takeshi Usami / Eriko Kishida (Ms.)
Department of International Affairs
Japan Science and Technology Agency
5-3 Yonbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8666 Japan
Tel. +81(0)3-5214-7375 Fax. +81(0)3-5214-7379; E-mail:
National Council on Science and Technology (CONACyT)
Dr. Luis Humberto Fabila Castillo
Director of Basic Scientific Research
National Council on Science and Technology
Av. Insurgentes Sur 1582, Col. Crédito Constructor Del. Benito Juárez C.P.: 03940, México
Tel. +52(55)53-22-8145 Fax. +52(55)53-22-8145; E-mail: