1. Aims of the Program
The Program aims at promoting cooperation in science and technology as well as developing Japan's science and technology capacity for the future. The Program is administered based on an intergovernmental agreement between Japan and France in the field of “Molecular Technology”, as designated by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
2. Field of collaboration
The field of “Molecular Technology”
3. Prospective Applicants
Japanese and French researchers at universities, research institutes or companies were invited to submit proposals for cooperative research projects in the research field described above.
4. Period of Research
5. Amount of Funding
30 million yen from JST to the Japanese researchers per project over three years, inclusive of overhead costs.
6. Funded Expenses
Funding provided within this call is intended to enhance the capacity of the applicants to collaborate. Funding will therefore be provided mainly in support of collaborative activities such as travel and holding symposia/seminars and may also support local research expenses such as in the provision of facilities, equipment and consumables that are necessary for the collaboration. Indirect costs may also be claimed though they should be no more than 30 percent of direct costs.
7. Evaluation Process
JST and ANR independently evaluated and ranked proposals according to their respective peer review processes. Based on the results of their evaluations, JST and ANR exchanged views and successfully negotiated to jointly decide on the selected projects.
8. Evaluation Criteria
The following general evaluation criteria were applied to each application:
- 1) Conformity with program aims and designated research fields, including project integration;
- 2)Scientific quality and innovativeness of the joint research plan;
- 3)Methodology, feasibility and appropriateness of the joint research plan;
- 4)Added value to be expected from the Japanese-French research collaboration; Balanced cooperation.
- 5)Competence and expertise of the Japanese and French research teams and complementarities within the consortium (interdisciplinarity / inclusion of all necessary expertise)
- 6)Appropriateness of resources and funding requested
- 7)Global impact: scientific, technical, economic, societal