Overview of Activities & Organization
RISTEX conducts R&D programs with the aim to produce and promote innovative solutions to the issues that human society confronts. Such issues include the eff ects of global warming, aging population and declining birthrate, and improvement of safety and security.
To gain practical wisdom and methods that will lead to solutions to social issues, RISTEX values transdisciplinary research, which is carried out by researchers from various fields, practitioners and other stakeholders. In addition to the R&D programs , RISTEX runs programs to support implementation and outspread of the R&D results into society.
Under the leadership of its Director General, RISTEX conducts R&D on technology for society within JST's Strategic Basic Research Programs system, and is also involved in administration related to other R&D. The chart below shows RISTEX's organization as of December 2018.
- The RISTEX Governing Board is composed of experts who discuss matters vital to the management of RISTEX such as setting, modifying and terminating R&D Focus Areas.
- The Evaluation Committee is composed of experts who conduct interim and final evaluations on the achievement of R&D targets and project progress status.
- There are currently three R&D Focus Areas, each of which is staffed by personnel responsible for selecting and managing R&D projects under the supervision of an Program Supervisor.
- There are currently two R&D Programs, each engaged in the promotion of R&D under the supervision of a Program Supervisor. The Implementation-Support Program supports initiatives (implementation activities) for implementing and utilizing the outcomes of publicly funded R&D to resolve specific social issues.
- In fiscal 2013, RISTEX established a new Results Integrated Type program for consolidating and integrating (packaging) multiple R&D outcomes from its R&D Focus Areas and programs so as to facilitate the implementation of these outcomes in society.
- In fiscal 2014, RISTEX made use of its transdisciplinary R&D methodology to administer the following two R&D programs: Future Earth, Enhancement of Societal Resiliency Against Natural Disasters (Strategic Innovation Promotion Program (SIP))
- Under its Director, the Department of Planning and Management manages R&D Focus Areas and carries out support, planning, research, public relations, and other administrative tasks related to R&D.
RISTEX Organization (FY2018)
RISTEX engages in activities like those in the figure below with the view to promoting R&D that seeks solutions to specific social issues.
Ⅰ .Identifying social issues:
Identify social issues or that can be expected to occur in the future and invite relevant experts and stakeholders to survey and investigate the respective issues then to narrow down specific issues.
Ⅱ.Establishing R&D Focus Areas and programs:
Based on the results I , establish the R&D Focus Areas and programs where RISTEX activities can contribute to solution of issues based on the results.
Under the Program Supervisors, who manages with responsibility for R&D Focus Areas and programs, establish R&D programs that have clearly defined R&D goals, issue calls for R&D project proposals and promote adopted R&D projects.
Participation of stakeholders at every stage of establishing topics, implementing R&D, and conducting evaluations so that the results of R&D will contribute to the resolution of actual social issues.
Ⅳ.Presenting prototypes for return R&D results to society
Ⅴ.Assisting the application of results to wider areas to be applied and to be established in society
Going through these five steps as a sequential cycle causes collaboration among science and technology and society to create prototypes (the results). The objective in seeking the diffusion and establishment of these prototypes is to make contributions to the resolution of social issues and to create new social and public value.