- April 2000
Study Group on R&D of Science and Technology for Society was organized by the former Science and Technology Agency under the Prime Minister's Office (Chairperson: Hiroyuki Yoshikawa, then chairman of the Science Council of Japan)
- December 2000
The group submitted a policy recommendation concerning the concept of Science and Technology(S&T) for Society, its research necessity, possible research structure and focus areas.
- July 2001
Research Institute of Science and Technology for Society (RISTEX) was established as a result of cooperative partnership between the former Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI) and the former Japan Science Technology Corporation, now the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
- April 2003
The research activities that had been promoted by JAERI and RISTEX were integrated into JST.
- May 2005
RISTEX was restructured, and its R&D focus areas were re-established(*1).
- April 2006-
RISTEX has been promoting R&D activities with strong emphasis on setting clear goals for its R&D programs and promoting collaboration among stakeholders who work to solve social problems.
(*1) Based on the re-organization policy in May 2005, all R&D projects in R&D Focus Areas are selected through a public solicitation process.
History of R&D Areas and Programs
- Safety and Security : Mission-Oriented Research Program (FY2001-2005)
- Sustainable Society (FY2001-2007)
- Social Systems/Science and Technology for Society (FY2001-2007)
- Information Technology and Society (FY2003-2007)
- Science Technology and Humanity (FY2005-2012)
- Protecting Children from Crime (FY2007-2012)
- Community-Based Actions against Global Warming and Environmental Degradation (FY2008-2013)
- Implementation-Support program(Call for proposal Type) (FY2007-)
- Redesigning Communities for Aged Society (FY2010-2015)
- Service Science, Solutions and Foundation Integrated Research Program (FY2010-)
- Science of Science, Technology and Innovation Policy (FY2011-)
- Creating Community-based Robust and Resilient Society (FY2012-)
- Implementation-Support program(R&D results integrated Type) (FY2013-)
- Designing a Sustainable Society through Intergenerational Co-creation (FY2014-)
- Creating a Safe and Secure Living Environment in the Changing Public and Private Spheres (FY2015-)
- Human-Information Technology Ecosystem (FY2016-)