Novel inter-organ communication via Brown adipose tissue
|Research Site||University of California, San Francisco|
|UCSF Diabetes Center, Stem Cell Institute, Department of Cell and Tissue Biology|
Obesity develops when energy intake chronically exceeds total energy expenditure. Adipose tissue communicates with metabolically active organs like skeletal muscle via endocrine/paracrine/autocrine factors, however, its molecular basis remains unclear. In this proposal, we aim to understand the inter-organ communications of brown adipose and to investigate their roles in controlling whole body energy metabolism under physiological and pathological conditions such as obesity. We hope these studies have applications to the development of novel therapies for obesity, insulin resistance and metabolic diseases.
- Shinoda K., Ohyama K., Hasegawa Y., Chang H-Y, Ogura M., Sato A., Hong H., Hosono T., Sharp L.Z., Scheel D.W., Graham M., Ishihama Y., & Kajimura S. (2015). Phosphoproteomics Identifies CK2 as a negative regulator of beige adipocyte thermogenesis and energy expenditure. Cell Metabolism 22(6):997-1008.
- Kajimura S., Spiegelman B.M. & Seale P. (2015). Brown and beige fat: Physiological roles beyond heat-generation. Cell Metabolism 22(4):546-559.
- Shinoda K., Luijten I. H.N., Hasegawa Y., Hong H., Sonne S. B., Xue R., Chondronikola M., Kim M., Cypess A.M., Tseng Y., Nedergaard J., Sidossis L.S., & Kajimura S. (2015). Genetic and functional characterization of clonally-derived adult human brown adipocytes. Nature Medicine 21(4):389-394. PMC4427356
- Galmozzi A.*, Sonne S.B.*, Keylin S., Hasegawa Y., Shinoda K., Luijten I., Chang J.W., Sharp L.Z., Cravatt B. F., Saez E., & Kajimura S. (2014). ThermoMouse: an in vivo model to identify modulators of UCP1 expression in brown adipose tissue. Cell Reports S2211-1247. PMC4268417 (Selected in Faculty1000)
- Ohno H., Shinoda K., Ohyama K., Sharp L.Z. & Kajimura S. (2013). EHMT1 controls brown adipose cell fate and thermogenesis through the PRDM16 complex. Nature 504(7478):163-167. PMC3855638 (Selected in Faculty1000) Comment in “An enzymatic chromatin switch that directs formation of active brown fat.” [Cell Metabolism. 2014]
- Ohyama K, Nogusa Y, Shinoda K, Suzuki K, Bannai M, & Kajimura S. (2016). A synergistic anti-obesity effect by a combination of capsinoids and cold temperature through promoting beige adipocyte biogenesis. Diabetes. In press