1. Objectives and the Research fields
The objective of this program is to strengthen the research collaboration between EU and Japan in the field of “Substitution of critical raw materials” and “Power Electronics”, aiming to create top-level scientific results and innovative technologies. These research fields are set to facilitate the participation of Japanese researchers in HORIZON2020, which will provide momentum to realize sustainable growth in society through science and technology.
2. Prospective Applicants
Researchers, regardless of the nationality, working at universities, research institutes or companies in Japan.
3. Period of Research
4. Amount of Funding
Up to 60 million yen (including overhead costs) from JST to the Japanese researchers per project, over the entire research period.
5. Evaluation Process
JST and EC DG RTD conducted the evaluation independently. JST evaluated the proposals with the support of expert reviewers assigned by JST. The evaluation was based on the criteria described in 6. JST adopted the project recommended both by JST and EC DG RTD.
6. Evaluation Criteria
(1) Conformity with program aims
- Significance of the participation of Japanese teams and added value created by the EU-Japan collaboration.
- Impact of expected scientific results on industry and society.
- Special criteria for “Power Electronics”.
- (i) Basic scientific research concerning next-generation materials, such as diamonds or gallium oxide, but excluding SiC and GaN.
- (ii) Innovative research on circuit technology maximizing features of wide bandgap semiconductors.
- In addition, research plans should either be led by young researchers or consider fostering young researchers.
- Special criteria for the “Substitution of critical raw materials”.
- (i) Highly synergetic projects with respect to theory, synthesis, processing, structural evaluation, and/or functional evaluation, which make fundamental
and scientific advancement.
- (ii) Collaborative research with European team members using state-of-the-art structural analysis or computational science techniques.
(2) Appropriateness of plans
- Clear complementary role between Japanís research teams and EUís research teams.
- Appropriate plan to foster young researchers.
- Appropriate budget plan.