Sustainable Developmeng Goals (SDGs)
- Sustainable development goals - United Nations
- Communications materials - United Nations Sustainable Development
In September, 2015, the United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development that comprise of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets. The SDGs provide the universal goals to the issues the world including Japan and the humanity faces. The goals and targets of the SDGs are relevant to the implementation of Super Smart Society, “Society 5.0” (Forth Industrial Revolution), set by the 5th Science and Technology Basic Plan as a major pillar of the Japan’s Plan for Dynamic Engagement of All Citizens for the strategic growth as well as to the basic principle of our international cooperation.
The First annual Multistakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDG (STI Forum) was held on 6-7 June 2016, at the UN Headquarters in New York, aiming to address how the Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) could contribute to the implementation of the SDGs ("STI for SDGs"). It is highly expected that, to achieve the SDGs, the STI play an indispensable role by resolving various emerging issues we face and by providing scientific data and analysis for better political decision.
It is indeed crucial that all stakeholders from government, universities, research agencies and institutes, NGOs and private sectors, etc. take transformative steps in a holistic manner toward STI for SDGs. As Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) promotes not only the research and development (R&D) but also plans R&D strategies as well as enhance science communication, science education and open data, we are taking inclusive initiatives nationally and internationally for achieving the SDGs.
- 2016.11.03 Science Agora Future Session on What can STI contribute to the global issues today such as SDGs we have to cope with?
- 2017.01.27 International Conference on Science and Technology for Sustainability at Science Council of Japan
Poster (Japanese Only)
- 2017.02.17 2017 AAAS Annual Meeting Exhibitor Sponsored Workshop on How Can the Global Science Enterprise Effectively Respond to Sustainable Development Goals?
Report of the workshop
- 2017.05.15-16 2017 Multi-stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs (STI forum)
Program with speakers (PDF)
Book of Japan's Practices for SDGs (Preliminary Edition)
- 2017.05.25-26 Gender Summit10 Asia & Pacific on Better Science and Innovation through Gender, Diversity and Inclusive Engagement
- 2017.11.15-17 The Science Centre World Summit (SCWS) at Miraikan in Tokyo
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- United Nations Technology Facilitation Mechanism (TFM)
- United Nations Global Compact
- The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS)
- World Bank SDGs
- Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)
- SDSN Japan
- Post2015 Project at Keio University
- The University of Tokyo Institutes for Advanced Study (UTIAS), Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S)
- SDG Knowledge Hub by International Institute for Sustainable Development (ISSD)
- International Council for Science (ICSU) SDGs
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (wbcsd)